Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Maxim Loskutoff

This may sound harsh, but it's stuck with me since college and I attempt to use it to shape my life: "Writing will always take more than it can give, so you need to find other things to sustain you." Getting my hands in the dirt, camping, hiking mountains, swimming in lakes. Being in the world. Writing is a journey into the mind, and a pouring out of what you find there. It can be isolating and dislocating, so I strive to find joy in the beauty of the physical world, and small daily tasks. Remembering I have a body as well as a mind.

Raised in small towns in the west, Maxim Loskutoff is the critically acclaimed author of RUTHIE FEAR and COME WEST AND SEE, an NPR and Amazon Best Book of 2018, a New York Times Editor’s Pick, and winner of the High Plains Book Award. His stories and essays have appeared in numerous periodicals, including the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Ploughshares, and Playboy. He lives in the Rocky Mountains of western Montana. 

No comments: