Thursday, August 11, 2022

Summer Key Lime Pie with Persian Limes

This "Persian" lime pie is fantastic! A few changes...

Rather than Graham crackers I made my whole wheat press in oil crust that I use for pumpkin pie. I used Price-Rite Greek nonfat yogurt with the sweetened condensed milk and supermarket limes as Chef Jenn suggests and extra zest.

 It's simple and fantastic. 

I do not add whipped cream on top because it's perfect without it.

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/key-lime-pie.html

some history! https://whatscookingamerica.net/history/piehistory/keylimepie.htm 

Whole Wheat Corn Oil Pie Crust from my Pumpkin Pie
1 cup of whole wheat flour 

4 Tablespoons corn oil 
3 tablespoons brown sugar (the sugar is the glue, holding the crust together)
2 Tbs cold water or milk (if needed to moisten)
1 teaspoon Kosher salt (less if using regular salt or white flour)
(sometimes I add molasses to make brown sugar)

Mix flour and oil with fingers so it is pebbly then add a little bit more so it becomes like Play-Doh consistency. Press into pie pan with fingers. Prick dough with fork and make pressed fork pattern on edge. It is very sticky and hard to handle but hang in there, it will be delicious. Pre-bake at 350 for 5 minutes.

UPDATE: I might try this again. It tastes like cheesecake. I might decide to use evaporated milk + instead of condensed milk, a few eggs, and Greek yogurt, and skip the sweetened condensed milk.  

Stay Tuned

No comments: