Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Above the Law

Are you above the law... of calories? I tell myself that I am, when I am feeling good and reach for seconds and thirds of a healthy meal. I can only imagine others do the same thing. Along with swimming and walking and dancing I love to eat good home-cooked food. That doesn't mean I can't gain weight, I try to tell myself.

My first thought is my clothes are shrinking from using warm water. I must go back to cold water wash. Then the doctor weighs me at the annual physical. I look away. I peek. Muscles are MUCH heavier than fat I tell myself on the way home, still in shock. I guess it wasn't the warm water. I'm not above the law of calories.

My Jewish mother used to bake and cook very rich gourmet Italian food and entertain guests and my step-father's business clients every weekend at their country house. In contrast she lived on MSG chicken broth all week and took diet pills and then Valium to sleep. I can't live like that.

Every day has to be a practice of being kind to my body. For me this means listening to and being respectful of this magnificent vehicle for life and learning. Practice love, I whisper to myself as I am walking down the street.

No comments: