Wednesday, June 05, 2019

Romeo Loves to Swim

Romeo has caught on to the game of fetch in the pond. We attached a day-glow orange life vest on him because he rides very low in the water. The first time for the season required some prompting. I threw the stick and then I lifted him up like a suitcase (using the handle on his vest) and placed him in the shallow water with the long leash attached. I began encouraging him him when he swam out after it and I cheered when he grabbed it. Now he will enthusiastically jump in after the stick and drop it at our feet so we'll keep throwing it. We have to keep him tethered and use two extra long leads tied together which gives him about 24 feet of reach. This way we can reel him in or steer him to the clearing if we need to.

The other day I threw the stick too far and Bill let go of the lead. Romeo lost track the stick and then veered off course hunting for it and subsequently got tangled up in the shrubs. So now we try to throw the sticks within bounds and keep a stash of them ready just in case one gets lost in the current.

Yesterday I brought Romeo to the pond on a walk by myself we played a few rounds of fetch but then I threw the last stick too far and I had to let it drift away. I reeled him in like a dog-fish and we walked home. When he dried he was super soft, silky, and clean.

No comments: