Sunday, July 28, 2019

Mr. Eyebrows

One of the swimmers I've known for a few years who is dashing with his pure white hair and black bushy eyebrows came in to the YMCA today. He told me a story about falling through the ice one winter when he was 9. "It was December and we were playing hockey on the ice out in Burrillville. It was 1965. There were four of us and it was a deep man-made pond for cows. It had 3 inches of ice on top, only three of us got out alive. The other kid couldn't swim. I can still see him, he was bobbing up and down. We couldn't save him because we were scrambling to save ourselves. I'll never forget it, but this is part of life."

1 comment:

Urban Mermaid said...

"I fell through the ice and had to get myself out.
Luckily I was near the edge of the lake and worked my way over bit by bit.
People just stared at me and didn't help. I was 11.
The weight of the skates and my woolen clothing would've pulled me under if I hadn't been near the edge.
I can still remember people staring and not helping."
-P.M.