Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Open versus Territorial: I appreciate the humans who are open minded.

The fences I see around town are a perfect metaphor for human connection and disconnection and more importantly FEAR. 

How many times am I conversing with someone and an opaque vinyl fence goes up and quickly becomes green and black with mold. 

What is lovely is a low picket fence where the trees and flowers and rusty wheelbarrow shows through. To me that says yes I have a boundary but you are allowed to be here. A breathable boundary versus a razor wire stop here or you will be shot and killed boundary.

For the folks who have staked out territory and ownership claims, metaphorically or tangibly it can be incredibly dangerous to try to connect. I had this problem with my parents all the time. If I tried to share an article or a book or describe my favorite teacher I was quickly reminded that they were offended and had already claimed all of that territory. How dare you try to share with us, the all powerful and greatest of them all? Either worship us as your favorite teacher, author, writer, or be gone!

So I left.

If I share a recipe with a foodie friend she might appreciate it although someone who sees themselves as an expert might fend it off as a challenge. 

I appreciate the humans who are open minded.

No comments: