Monday, August 12, 2024

Sourdough Starter Instructions Letter

I am so excited to give you sourdough starter.  You will love it!! It's like having a pet!!

You might have a lot of fun, and have no worries because you can ask me anything and you can always get more from me.
 
Okay so what I gave you is sourdough starter mixed with dark rye flour + water. It's a couple of days after being refreshed. It's ALIVE AND HAPPY hence, the bubbles.
 
Feed the starter with about a cup more flour and 1 cup of water today tomorrow or over the next week.  Be sure to leave space for growth in the jar.
 
I keep mine on the door of my fridge so I can spy on it every time I open the fridge, which is also why I keep using it. You can use any flour BUT it LOVES dark rye and (it also likes whole wheat) so if you and your family want to get really thrilled about this pick up a small bag of dark rye at Joblot. Bob's RedMill usually has it.
 
Then add a cup of dark rye and a cup of cold water and let it sit partially uncovered on your kitchen counter for 2-3 hours. It will GROW!!! BIG THRILLS! Then store it and put it in the fridge. Do not tighten the lid because pressure could build up and explode and shatter. TRUE! You can make bread, crackers pancakes waffles. Just leave some in the jar a teaspoon or two from which you will cultivate your next batch. Add flour, water, stir, let it sit out for a day and it will grow and you store it in the fridge again.
 
Little Spoon Farm is a great website to visit concerning sourdough.
 
I am trying to resist saying too much except THANKS for your interest and HAVE FUN!! I KNOW YOU WILL! BE A SOURDOUGH FARMER!! And you know this is good for you too. BIG HUG for your open heart.
 
Making crackers from the sourdough is a breeze and well worth doing with a silicone baking mat. I can explain that if you are interested.
 
If you like yogurt I can explain how to make that too. All you need is milk, a burner to heat the milk, a picnic cooler to keep it warm in, and a little bit of added yogurt to act as a starter.
 

No comments: