Thursday, January 22, 2009

Beloved Honey

Our beloved Honey dog passed away last Thursday January 15th. She had been suffering from kidney disease which was triggered by Lyme disease she contracted in November. We miss her terribly. Our family and community of friends and neighbors loved Honey and they all miss her too. It is so sad. As I make the rounds without her I tell people and we shed tears together. The letters and cards and flowers have been flooding in. I am comforted to know that she had a wonderful life while enriching ours. She taught me that she was happiest walking for many miles each day and then running as fast as she could to chase and jump after the tennis ball. So we did as often as we could, and getting out was a blessing to us both! She was a graceful and beautiful athlete. A real dog ballerina! She could hop over a tiny fence in our flower garden to retrieve a ball and not disturb the plants. She was a working dog put to work. She was a conduit for me to connect to my community. Because we were rarely apart and we were both a bit daring, I brought her places dogs aren't allowed; the parks, the bank, the YMCA, Beacon school, the post office, the public library, city hall, GiGi's store, even the police station. People were thrilled to meet her and many got to know her including the dog catcher and all of the public works folks who work outdoors around the city. She was fifty pounds - lamb sized - and would sometimes curl up in my lap on car rides when we were both passengers. I could lift her and carry her if ever I needed to. When we went for walks it wasn't unusual for people to shout out of their cars and apartment windows "What a pretty dog!" as we walked by. She was a magnet and a conduit for nearly everyone in her path. She was our little brown monkey.

When she sat upright her proportions were beautifully showcased. She looked like an adolescent chocolate lab. She was a mixture of chocolate Labrador and German Short-haired Pointer. I adopted her just after Veteran's Day Weekend November 2002 from the North Kingstown Dog Pound. They told me she had been abandoned at a horse farm. My vet examined her teeth and determined she was about two. She had a long scar behind her right shoulder that told the story of having been hit by a car. That's probably why she never liked trucks or motorcycles driving by. When we adopted her she had never been indoors. It was all a new experience for her, riding in a car, walking up and down stairs, and learning to tell us when she needed to pee. We discovered she loved to play and chew plastic bottles or milk jugs; she loved making the crinkling sound. I imagined that was what the former owners threw out in their yard for her to play with. She would drink other people's coffee if they put their cup down unattended. She had loose lips - when she drank water she gulped heartily and then left a sloppy trail of water. I learned this was a Pointer thing! In the summer when she had been playing fetch she would put her front paws in the water bowl to cool off. She loved to swim and had gorgeous thick sturdy hairy-between-the-pads webbed feet! I always loved and admired her big feet! But in winter if she got salty ice clumps in her paws she would lift them up which made walking tough. We would stop to take out the ice balls or I would sometimes carry her over to a fluffy snow spot. One winter we got her booties. She didn't mind wearing them and ran through the deep snow in the cemetery that day until the booties were rags.

When I caught her counter-surfing and scolded her she just let it roll off her back. She had no remorse. She wasn't afraid of fireworks. She had separation anxiety (but so did I!) She was a clockwise dog - running in circles, sometimes even chasing her tail. She liked to keep us on a strict schedule! She was the most vocal dog I've ever had, barking her commands which was good because she had a small bladder and drank lots of water. We would lose track of time but she never did. One time she ate a blob of my sourdough bread dough set to rise and got drunk and staggered and was sick for a day. It was awful. We called her the prettiest dog in the world! With her yellow eyes and Pointer face and soft shapely ears she was a heart melter. She was the most curious dog I'd ever had. She stuck her nose in every box, bag, purse, and instrument case that came into our house. When in the kitchen she'd get flour on her nose, standing under me while I was measuring it out.

I am afraid of loving again, afraid of all of the tick borne diseases and high costs of vet care, afraid of never finding a dog as wonderful as Honey. But as my pals The Red Clay Ramblers wrote in their song "It's half a life without a dog!"

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Honey. You blog entry was wonderful, I sort of feel as though I got to know her a little.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and try not to yell at my dogs...

Love to you
Kim

Margaret said...

Em-
You made my heart break a little. I could hear your voice through the details you notice, like the clock wise circle running (who else would notice?) and the tenderness and reverence of your observations of Honey. These things are defining of you; recognizing the vulnerability and preciousness in everyone and the need for all things living to be honored.

Miss you and our non-virtual get-togethers
Love-
Margaret
ps I still tell people stories about your grandmother and our day at Brighton Beach...I can almost see those 1020's stripped bathing suits now...

Margaret said...

I meant 1920's

Gregg said...

I am sad for you too. A dog is so important for happiness and stability. Our dog Carmen is a brown and peanut butter mutt with white paws and a white tip tail. She found us. She is our Slumdog Millionaire! One hot muggy summer night in 2002 we heard a moan and a cry at 3 am. My wife went out to the front porch and she found Carmen. The puppy had escaped from its box somewhere nearby. She came bounding up the stairs and licked Natalie's feet. We all immediately fell in love, but we had to bring her to the Animal Rescue League to let her owner try to find her. It was a heartbreaking 6 days, but miraculously nobody stepped forward to claim her. We found out much later that a neighbor's teenage son had tried to bring the puppy into the apartment house next door, which does not allow dogs. The son told us the story but said that he was glad she had found a good home. That's all he cared about. Carmen is a fun dog! She loves to run and swim. We take her to Chase Farm for long walks when we can. She is the most spoiled dog in the world, sleeping at the end of our bed on a towel. She also is very punctual and barks to let us know it is time to go to bed. I always sing funny songs to her and she loves it. She can stretch out her legs like a ballerina, which she does every morning for her full body massage!
She also brings many people and other dogs to us. Always a great link to others wherever we go for walks. I know you must miss that dog!

Love,
Gregg

Anonymous said...

hi em, vey sorry to here about honey. i happened to be in moonlight wieners the morning that honey passed. if you dont get another pet you should volenteer at an animal shelter. like the one behind buddas bizaar no mendon rd. take care

Anonymous said...

Nothing so noble as a dog; few things so painful as losing one. I'm so sorry, Emily. If there has been one constant image through all of your writing, it has been you and Honey on the loose in Woonsocket. Grieve now, but please don't deny yourself or another pup of new adventures ahead.

Unknown said...

Emily, This blog entry is one of the most beautiful pieces I've ever read about a dog. It is a moving and fitting tribute to a creature that brought so much love and joy into your life. I'm sure it was hard to write. When Tucker died, I couldn't summon the strength to write about him, but I wanted to.
Thank you for sharing this with us.
Love,
Jim

Anonymous said...

hi em, how about posting a picture of honey.

Vague Moon said...

Em, I am behind in reading your blog, so sorry to hear about Honey's passing. Your blog to her was passionate and loving, I am sure it will bring tears, as it did mine, to her eyes when she reads it.