Monday, April 16, 2012

Sanctuary

I have a strong desire for sanctuary, in my work and in my home. I do not want to be a control freak but I do get outraged when my boundaries are violated. I live in a city by choice, where it might seem that sanctuary is nearly impossible, but I have spoken with people who live in suburban and rural areas and they too have conflicts with boundaries, territorial and otherwise. So what is sanctuary, and how does one maintain it in the face of continuous change and encroaching human beings? How do we keep our sanctuary rather than giving it over to others? My upbringing was full of boundary violations, and I was ignored or shamed if I objected or resisted. Perhaps today I am reliving my childhood violations with every neighborly boundary violation. I have to remind myself that I am allowed to be fierce but I mostly need to be courageous. My ultimate sanctuary is between my ears. I have to rein my boundary in, from the neighborhood, past my yard and house, to where it ultimately lies; at my skin. The sanctuary of my mind is what I need to maintain and defend.

No comments: