Wednesday, September 24, 2014

James Baldwin

The great force of history comes from the fact that we carry it within us, are unconsciously controlled by it in many ways, and history is literally present in all that we do.
― James Baldwin, The Price of the Ticket: Collected Nonfiction, 1948-1985

The writer's only real task: to recreate out of the disorder of life that order which is art.
― James Baldwin

Precisely at the point when you begin to develop a conscience you must find yourself at war with your society.
― James Baldwin

This is the charged, the dangerous moment, when everything must be re-examined, must be made new, when nothing at all can be taken for granted.
― James Baldwin

I don't like people who like me because I'm a Negro; neither do I like people who find in the same accident grounds for contempt. I love America more than any other country in the world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually. I think all theories are suspect, that the finest principles may have to be modified, or may even be pulverized by the demands of life, and that one must find, therefore, one's own moral center and move through the world hoping that this center will guide one aright. I consider that I have many responsibilities, but none greater than this: to last, as Hemingway says, and get my work done.
I want to be an honest man and a good writer.
― James Baldwin, Notes of a Native Son

No comments: