Monday, December 22, 2014

In Love: Marriage of Intuition and Intellect

Your intuition and your intellect should be working together… making love. That’s how it works best.
-Madeleine L'Engle

Like Einstein, whose mythology holds that he came up with his greatest physics breakthroughs during his violin breaks, L’Engle turns to music to overcome creative block in her writing, tickling the timid intuitive self into reengaging with the intellectual when the latter is on overdrive - By Maria Popova Madeleine L’Engle on Creativity, Hope, Getting Unstuck, and How Studying Science Enriches Art

Playing the piano is for me a way of getting unstuck. If I’m stuck in life or in what I’m writing, if I can I sit down and play the piano. What it does is break the barrier that comes between the conscious and the subconscious mind. The conscious mind wants to take over and refuses to let the subconscious mind work, the intuition. So if I can play the piano, that will break the block, and my intuition will be free to give things up to my mind, my intellect. So it’s not just a hobby. It’s a joy.
-Madeleine L'Engle

Source: Brain Pickings

No comments: