Tuesday, December 16, 2014

TN Williams: Yes, I Have Tricks in my Pocket

Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion.
― Tennessee Williams, The Glass Menagerie

Why did I write? Because I found life unsatisfactory.
― Tennessee Williams

I suppose I have found it easier to identify with the characters who verge upon hysteria, who were frightened of life, who were desperate to reach out to another person. But these seemingly fragile people are the strong people really.
― Tennessee Williams

I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.
― Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Desire

Don't you just love those long rainy afternoons in New Orleans when an hour isn't just an hour - but a little piece of eternity dropped into your hands - and who knows what to do with it?
― Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Desire

No comments: