Friday, November 09, 2018

Swimming

I skipped yesterday so I needed an extra push to get to the pool today. As soon as I hit the water I knew I had made the right decision.
Then three teenage girls showed up and took the lane next to me. One of them was wearing a yellow suit. She sat on the edge while the other two began swimming laps.
"You're a good swimmer," the seated girl said to me.
"Thank you, I love the water. I swim often because it helps me with my winter depression."
"I have depression and anxiety too," she said.
"This will help," I said pointing to the water. "Do you know how to swim?"
"I used to swim for the special Olympics. Everyone tells me to exercise for my depression," she said.
"Try swimming to the other side, experiment on yourself and see if it helps how you feel. Just do one lap and you win!"
"That's a good idea," she said. I continued to swim.
When I returned I said to her "Depression and anxiety are energy. If you bring them into the pool you can swim like a motor boat." She liked that.
When I swam back she was standing in the water. "How about if I go with you and we can both swim to the other side?"
"Okay," she said. I swam in my lane using a pull buoy to duplicate her speed. I kept checking on her. "You're doing great!" I said. When she made it to the end of the lane I hooted and hollered. "That was fabulous!" I said and continued swimming. She began doing the back stroke. When she completed another length she was grinning.
"You did great, and you're smiling," I said. And we both continued swimming.

No comments: