Saturday, July 29, 2023

Receptivity and Introverts

Why are some folks open and others unable to receive anything at all?

I come from a family where nobody takes anything in. Everyone shouts with their mouth full and food flying everywhere. Nobody is ever listening.

I married into a family of introverts. We drink coffee and talk all night. We listen and we look and we contemplate. We read all the time.

Why are some folks capable of receiving and others can't accept anything, even directions?

I recommended a book to a friend, "I think you might like this, it reminded me of you!" and he sends me info about another book. I wonder if he even looked at the synopsis of the book I told him about. Meanwhile I ordered the book he told me about from the library. I plan to read it.

When I try to share something with an acquaintance, a sibling, whoever, and it is apparently invisible, is it because it's from my world? Or because they can't take anything in? Are they filled to the brim? Have they been like this forever?

Perhaps the inability to receive is just the collision of class & privilege, competition, insecurity, birth order, basic run of the mill jockeying for position. 

What if my sharing means none of those things? It's just honest, authentic sharing.

Why is this so difficult? I am continually disappointed in people and our society.

And maybe I have answered my own questions.

I am grateful for the rare people in my life who are open-minded. God bless them. I hope to remain so myself. AMEN.

No comments: