Thursday, September 14, 2023

Dream

I dreamed of my best friend from junior high. I don't remember the dream but it stirred up memories.

When we were 13 she had three sisters and a mother who always seemed pissed off. Her mom scared me. She would pick up my friend in a shiny black Lincoln Town Car from school.

I spent a lot of time at their house and I can remember it vividly. They had a picnic table in the kitchen covered with a blue and white vinyl checked tablecloth. There was always two big stainless steel bowls in the fridge, one full of egg salad and the other with tuna salad. 

Her mother frequently shopped for clothes at Korvettes department store while they were at school and the girls would come home and pick what they liked and she'd return the rest.

On weekends and after school we'd hang out in her oldest sister's bedroom because she was away at college. We listened to Bob Dylan records and drew in our sketchbooks for hours.

Her parents bedroom was a dark paneled room with a matching dark bedroom set and navy blue curtains. There were flattering mirrors, distorting the viewer to be svelte.

Their father was a lawyer. I saw him once. He wore a brown suit and tie and was never home.

One day my friend was at my house and she said she thought I made up my dreams. I was devastated and the friendship ended right then.

No comments: