Friday, May 27, 2022

Food Talk

I am not a REAL foodie --that title is reserved for the true connoisseur and adventurer. I just throw stuff together usually very low on the food chain. Today lentils carrots celery Chianti for cooking (I am allergic to wine, unless it's cooked), two chicken bullion cubes, water leftover sauerkraut, chipotle goop, freshly smashed garlic cloves, olive oil, celery, carrots, onions, and my leftover German potato salad thrown in. I hope it will be good because there will be a vat, eight quarts!

I am loading it all into the instant pot which is like cooking in a washing machine! Load up and hit the button and walk away. Basically I just emptied the fridge into an 8 quart pot. I made a quick calculation on the sauerkraut. Since wine vinegar is often added to lentil soup afterwards (acidity) I took the risk.
 
I love marinades and things that do their magic while I sleep. No fussing for me. Our mile and a half down the road neighbors were tossing out a grill last year and delivered it to us when we asked about it. Bill replaced everything about it salvaging it like an old piano. So we made lots of buttermilk adobo sriracha marinades for boneless skinless chicken breasts.
 
My ultimate favorite is to marinate veggies in a simple oil vinegar herbs dressing and then string them onto the long flat metal skewers and cook them on a hardwood charcoal fired grill. But if it's too hot out we'll skip all of this until Autumn.
 
Update: the soup is fantastic, even better than I imagined!

No comments: