Thursday, October 27, 2022

Ginamarie's Chicken Soup

Soup is one thing I do make and with confidence. Chicken soup from scratch is my favorite, followed by lentil and pea. I too don't like fatty foods so no cream soups in my repertoire. I used to use the crock pot, the same crock pot given to me by Aunt Callie when I got engaged in 1978. But now I use a regular stove top soup pot because I prefer to saute the veggies and skim the fat which doesn't work in a crock pot.

Here's my chicken soup recipe.

Whole chicken - boiled with a bay leaf or two until it easily shreds. (or left over roasted chicken-carcass and all)

Carrots, celery, onions, garlic - all chopped and semi sauteed in olive oil with basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, salt & pepper -- just until the colors of the veggies become bright.
 
Shred the chicken, remove bay leaf and add the shredded chicken back to the stock.
 
Add the semi-sauteed veggies to the chicken stock with a new bay leaf or two.
 
Let simmer for a while - taste to see if you need more seasonings.
 
If you need more liquid - add any organic chicken stock.
 
A nice handful of fresh chopped parsley is added to the soup while it's cooking but close to serving time. You want the parsley to be cooked rather than raw.  Adding a good amount of fresh chopped parsley, makes the soup taste bright - is the best way I can describe it.
 
Serve with crusty bread.

No comments: