Thursday, April 27, 2023

Downtown Thursday at 7:30 AM

The sun came out so I walked downtown with my dog Romeo. One woman talking to two ladies at the bus stop asked me if she could walk with me. I said sure. She told me she was homeless and from Burrillville and her mother committed suicide but before that her mom got her hooked on drugs. 

She had long dark glued-on eyelashes and two lone yellow front teeth. She had long pale pink glittery fingernails on a few fingers. She said she'd been sober for 2 years but someone shot heroin in her neck and her dentures fell out when they revived her and now the dentures are gone. 

She said she and her boyfriend were staying in a hotel but he had a seizure, foaming at the mouth, and the hotel thought he was on drugs so they threw them out.

As we walked she began eating crackers and tuna fish out of a tiny can and my dog Romeo was eager to eat the crumbs that were falling. I kept pulling him away so he wouldn't trip her. I pointed her to the place that might help her out. "Go straight, at the second traffic light, it's on the left." She asked to give me a hug and headed off.

Then I ran into Eddie. "You look like a rock star today," I said, admiring his sunglasses, black and white checkered dress shirt, and three ruby studs in his left earlobe.

Eddie told me his formerly feral cats wouldn't cooperate with going into the carrier to see the vet and he's at his wit's end between that and his nosy neighbors. He said, "I told my neighbor, not today, I'm in a mood."

 "Boundaries, baby!" I said. "You're allowed to have them. Good fences make good neighbors."

"You got that right," he said "God bless," and continued on to his appointment.

No comments: