Wednesday, June 05, 2024

The Silver Tongued Devil and I Kris Kristofferson

 I took myself down to the Tally-Ho Tavern to buy me a bottle of beer

I sat me down by a tender young maiden whose eyes were as dark as her hairAnd as I was searchin' from bottle to bottle for somethin' unfoolish to sayThat silver tongued devil just slipped from the shadows and smilingly stole her awayI said hey little girl don't you know he's the devil he's everything that I ain'tHidin' intentions of evil under the smile of a saintAll he's good for is gettin' in trouble and shifting his share of the blameAnd some people swear he's my double and some even say we're the sameBut the silver tongued devil's got nothing to lose I'll only live till I dieWe take our own chances and pay our own dues the silver tongued devil and ILike all the fair maidens who've laid down beside himShe knew in her heart that he'd liedBut nothing that I could have said could've saved herNo matter how hard that she triedCause she'll offer her soul to the darkness and dangerOf something that she's never knownAnd open her arms at the smile of a stranger who'll love her and leave her aloneAnd you know he's the devil...

No comments: