Thursday, December 13, 2007

Don't Give Up

The other night we caught a TV documentary on playwrite Tony Kushner. One of his beliefs is that we have a moral obligation to not give up hope. This has stayed in my thoughts, and I've been chanting it to myself throughout the day! I also loved listening to him tell high school kids how scary and difficult it is to write because being all alone with your own mind is frightening. The honesty and power of his words inspired me. Thank you Tony Kushner!

I want to continue to connect with my community, but the agonies and joys are swirled together in equal parts like stripes on a zebra. Part of me wants to run into my room and pull the shades and hide under the covers, giving up on humans entirely, and the other part of me says "Refuse to despair, be brave, believe in every step you take in spite of resistance, and build hope."

No comments: