Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Happy Holy Week!

I am happy because the light is back but the allergens are still dormant.

I am loving teaching the teens in this urban arts high school! The more troubled the kids the more I want to dive in and connect, which always turns them around! The principal is surprised that I want him to give me the most difficult kids. I told him I was looking into working at the prison before he hired me. Now I think I have found teaching as my new calling!

Today I got a gallon of skim milk from the dairy farm to culture my own yogurt in glass mason jars on our boiler, the only warm place in our home in winter. First I mix the milk with nonfat dry milk to boost the nutrition content, then I bring it to 180 degrees in a double boiler, then I cool it to 110 degrees and add the starter, a dollop of yogurt. You can make your own yogurt cheese, too. Pour a cup or two of yogurt into a coffee cone filter and let it drain overnight into a jar. Save the whey for soup or bread, or just drink it straight! Add herbs to the finished yogurt cheese if you like. It is like a healthy Boursin cheese.

No comments: