Tuesday, September 02, 2008

September

Yesterday I went on a chopping spree cutting weeds in our back yard with big scissor-like hedge shears. I ate a fresh tomato + basil sandwich. Then this morning I walked with Honey in the long shadows. September, finally, and remembering why I moved to New England; apples, cows, the scent of wood burning. Tonight we walked to the farmer's market next to Saint Ann's Church. On the way over we smelled ripe Concord grapes. Bill spotted them behind the insurance company parking lot. We picked and ate fistfuls, spitting out the seeds. My lips got itchy! At the farmer's market we bought a purple Sicilian eggplant shaped like a pumpkin, broccoli, zucchini, red onions, elephant garlic, corn, apples, and red potatoes that were magenta like I've never seen. I told the Moosup Valley farmer I liked vegetables more than ice cream."That's a first," he said, and accidentally dropped the broccoli. I said, "Don't worry, it comes from the ground!" He threw in another broccoli bunch for free.

No comments: