Monday, September 01, 2008

Labor Day

I walked out to Wright's Dairy farm with Honey this morning. I went out back and the farmer told me the calf in the maternity barn was born only an hour ago. The momma cow was still licking her baby clean. I asked the farmer if I could have water for Honey. I told him we walked three miles and we have a three mile walk back home. He filled a five gallon pail and she drank some and then she stuck her paw in the water to cool off!

On the way home I stopped to chat with Rita & Gene. Eugene & Rita have walked the city every day for years, rain or shine, snow, wind, hail. When I first met them, they told me they were brother and sister, Rita 87, and Gene 84. Rita wore a leopard-skin shirt, and they both wore large sunglasses. So you've known each other for a while, I said! We all laughed. I told them that in my high school French class we got to pick new names for ourselves, and I had picked Rita! I asked them if all of this walking was the secret to their longevity. They said YES!

No comments: