Sunday, August 09, 2009

Urban Nature

I saw two monarch butterflies and an adolescent cardinal today. The cardinal was trying to keep his balance on a wire. His long tail seemed difficult to negotiate. Bill and I were watching from the living room window while he was teetering. He didn't look like he knew what he was doing! He'll grow up to be fire engine red and so handsome. It must be so dull to be a cardinal's wife, looking like a nun by comparison.

Our grass is two feet high, it looks like corn growing. But today I saw real corn growing in a five-foot patch on Earle Street near the post office. Just enough for a few dozen ears. I love the mix of urban and country in our little city.

The ragweed pollen blows in through the window fan making me fly around the room at night and causing my hands and feet to burn. It's an allergic reaction. It happens every August. My husband suggested I harvest a bit of ragweed pollen to carry in my pocket and snort it the next time I am gloomy - a histamine hit!

2 comments:

charles said...

you'd be the ragweed junkie.

Anonymous said...

Hey - last spring I picked up some homeopathic (a few drops under the tongue) remedy for tree pollen allergies (at Whole "Paycheck"), and it really helped. I'm also irritated by ragweed and am thinking I should get a remedy for that, if it exists. Might help.

And for the record, I think Ms. Cardinal is subtly lovely, unlike her flashy partner!