Saturday, December 19, 2009

Spontaneous Breasts

My mother sat me down at age 13 and told me I guess I won't be getting big breasts like my father's tall sisters all did. I didn't particularly care, in fact I didn't understand why she was forecasting this. Was she looking for proof that I was Tom's daughter? I began having dreams that I woke up one day with large breasts. Meanwhile in real life I gave up eating nearly everything. I was living on apples and grapefruit juice blended with ice cubes in the blender. I shriveled down to scarecrow size. Then I ran away one winter to Rhode Island and got a job as a carrot juice maker and whole wheat bread baker in a health food restaurant. A few months later I woke up with breasts. My sister came from NY to visit me and it was the first thing she noticed when I opened my apartment door. You've got breasts! she said. They popped overnight just like my dream told me they would.

No comments: