Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Itchy Lily

Lily has been itching all over like crazy, allergic to the pollen from the ragweed growing everywhere. She has been rubbing her snout and her ears with her front paws, and nibbling on her arms, and clawing at her underarms with her back paws. We had no idea that taking a few days away from her nightly pond swim would be detrimental to her. All those swims were washing the pollen out of her fur! Now we can't bathe her for 24 more hours because the flea medicine we put on her neck yesterday needs 48 hours to sink in and thoroughly dry. Last night her scratching kept her up all night, and us too. At 1 AM I removed her collar to silence the jingle. I remembered that Benadryl tablets stuck into a blob of peanut butter could be given to a dog with allergies. Later I rested on the couch and fell asleep. I dreamed that Lily was scratching, and it woke me up! She was still sound asleep on the floor beside me. Tomorrow she gets her oatmeal shampoo bath, and we all get a good night's sleep.

No comments: