Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Raking The Clay Diamond

The park maintenance guys were raking the clay baseball diamond when Lily and I arrived today. They waved, shouting hello when we got to the field. I see them all the time around the city in their glow-yellow shirts. During baseball season they attach a gigantic rake to the back of the city's white pickup truck and drive in circles until the whole clay diamond is perfectly flat with thin grooves and no footprints, ready for the nightly game. I decided that Lily should have a run, knowing they wouldn't mind, so I threw the baseball for her. She ran like lightning with her green leash trailing like an airborne snake. We played fetch for about eight throws, moving across the grassy-green outfield while the two maintenance guys drove in circles, perfecting the gray clay diamond. I knew it was time to go home when Lily ignored my ninth throw, preferring to sniff for snacks along the fence. I felt lucky that we had a few minutes to play.

No comments: