Saturday, February 05, 2011

Small Planet

Our neighbor Nagla is Egyptian and her whole family lives in Cairo. She owns the Moonlight Wieners restaurant on our street. She has lived here in America for 11 years. I stopped in on my way to the library to see how she and her relatives were holding up. They are very scared, especially scared about tomorrow! Then a tall big man in a Dunkin Donuts pullover came in and ordered 26 wieners all the way, for himself. I watched her prepare them with no wasted motion, lining them up on her arm up to her shoulder, adding chopped onions and relish to each one. My heart goes out to your family. It's a small planet and we're all under the same moon, I said as I was leaving. She had wrapped up two wieners for me to give to Lily. When I got home from the library, Lily was overjoyed. She could smell them as soon as I came in the door.

No comments: