Wednesday, February 02, 2011

The Art of Conversation

Years ago I was with a group of friends walking along a Rhode Island beach at dusk. One of our group, newspaper photographer Andy Dickerman, approached a guy who was fishing and started up a conversation. He developed an instant rapport with this total stranger. I was so blown away, and I remember it vividly to this day. I had never considered it possible to be so bold and open. Now when I walk through the city I always am ready to have a little conversation with a complete stranger. Most of the time it makes my day, and certainly gives me a lot to think about.

2 comments:

Omi said...

I have always embarrassed my kids by talking to everyone. It's amazing how much a perfect stranger will share on a bus ride or supermarket line. We are all searching for someone to tell our stories to.

-todd said...

I boldly and happily try to interact with most people I encounter. I do this because I have learned that most people are quite fascinating if you take a few minutes to experience them.