Sunday, October 16, 2011

Supermarket Circulars

I love looking at supermarket circulars. I see all of these foods I never buy. I examine the colorful pictures of foods and soaps and household conveniences. I fantasize about these items in the cupboards of other people's lives, lives I do not lead; sliced meats, liquid soaps, disposable mops, wipes and squirts, ziplock bags, puffy breads, pizza-flavored potato chips, frozen 'taters and shrimp, canned ravioli. This love of looking reminds me of when I babysat two kids on my street when I was thirteen. When the kids were asleep I would look at the family album and the pictures on the wall. Then I'd rummage around their food pantry and sample Pepperidge Farm cheddar gold fish and pretzel nuggets and Taster's Choice instant coffee. While flipping through my math homework I'd check out the father's stash of Playboy magazines.

No comments: