Saturday, December 17, 2011

Cyclothymia

I am either high (in transmit mode) or low (in receive mode) and when I am in transmit I can hardly keep up with my joy. I get up sometimes at 2 or 3 AM and bake bread and write letters and walk all evening and then go to bed exhausted at 7 or 8 PM.

This morning I witnessed a Maxfield Parrish dawn. I woke up with joy in my belly. My energy mood cycle lasts three months, often triggered by the full moon and changing seasons. After transmit mode I will have three months of wretched self-doubt and melancholy. It is called cyclothymia. It is how I am made. It is the brain chemistry I inherited. I often feel that I am from another planet, probably Saturn. I require daily asthma medicine to breathe normally, so that proves it.

I am lucky to be able to nurture and tame myself by grounding the highs and lows so I do not end up destroying myself, getting put on drugs forever, or being locked up in a hospital. I avoid drink, drugs (both legal and illegal), even travel to other people's houses for any length of time. My cure is writing and walking and playing my saxophone, baking, cooking, having solitude, drinking hot tea, and snuggling with Lily dog.

1 comment:

jon said...

dear emily,
love this!
They want to iron us out, stimulate us just to the point of aggression, never to imagination or vision, and depress just enough to accept what happens fatalistically, never enough to question the foundation of everything.
the illegal drugs aren't any better than the legal ones, if a person is looking for a cure.
some people need curing, but not everyone.
saturn's a pretty cool place to come from.
there are times when i want to die and get moving on/ it's not extermination i feel then, but impatience.
then there are the nihilistioc moods when death is gone forever, poof.
but either way, from the point of view of the cosmos, it might be poof
from the point of view of a person it's poofy enough
except when it drags, when the world goes slower
but the cosmos has no point of view
we are the mind of the cosmos
we being all the minds of all the matter