Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Helen Frankenthaler

There is “no formula,” she said in an interview in The New York Times in 2003. “There are no rules. Let the picture lead you where it must go.”

She never aligned herself with the feminist movement in art that began to surface in the 1970s. “For me, being a ‘lady painter’ was never an issue,” she was quoted as saying in John Gruen’s book “The Party’s Over Now” (1972). “I don’t resent being a female painter. I don’t exploit it. I paint.”
-NYT

A really good picture looks as if it's happened at once. It's an immediate image.
-Helen Frankenthaler

I wanted things that I couldn't at times articulate.
-Helen Frankenthaler

One really beautiful wrist motion, that is synchronised with your head and heart, and you have it. It looks as if it were born in a minute.
-Helen Frankenthaler

The landscapes were in my arms as I did it.
-Helen Frankenthaler

There are no rules. That is how art is born, how breakthroughs happen. Go against the rules or ignore the rules. That is what invention is about.
-Helen Frankenthaler

1 comment:

Nin Andrews said...

Yes, like you! I love it.
I had another poem a la Emily taken today!

Thanks again for your work!