Monday, January 21, 2013

Among Friends

I saw Ray today when I turned the corner to throw trash into the dumpster behind the restaurant. He was right there all bundled up in a hooded navy ski jacket and blue scarf. He said hello to Lily and me and went immediately back to concentrating on his task, picking up cigarette butts in the parking lot. It's cold, I don't have on my thermals, he said. You don't? His pants were sagging off his rear. I looked over and he was bent at the waist and his bare white butt was shining high up at the sky. Ray, you must be cold. Do you have a belt? I asked. I left it at home, he said, standing back up while simultaneously hitching up his blue-jeans. I pictured him shocking someone who doesn't know him and then getting arrested for indecent exposure. Ray, you're among friends here but you should go get your belt. I know, he said. He lives close by. Okay Ray, great to see you, bye. Ray went back to picking up butts and Lily and I walked home.

2 comments:

Nin Andrews said...

I love your daily event posts!

Urban Mermaid said...

Thanks so much, Nin.