Saturday, January 05, 2013

Paul Simon

As soon as your mind knows that it’s on and it’s supposed to produce some lines, either it doesn’t or it produces things that are very predictable. And that’s why I say I’m not interested in writing something that I thought about. I’m interested in discovering where my mind wants to go, or what object it wants to pick up.
-Paul Simon, Songtalk, 1991

I'm not in it for the money. I like music. I love to write music. I can't imagine myself not playing or singing or writing. It would just drive me crazy if I didn't.
-Paul Simon

Music is forever; music should grow and mature with you, following you right on up until you die.
-Paul Simon

I was eating in a Chinese restaurant downtown. There was a dish called ‘Mother and Child Reunion.’ It’s chicken and eggs. And I said, ‘Oh, I love that title. I got to use that one.’
-Paul Simon, Rolling Stone, 1972

Simon and Garfunkel had a peculiar type of groupie. We had the poetic groupies. The girls that followed us around weren’t necessarily looking to sleep with us as much as they were looking to read their poetry or discuss literature or play their own songs.
-Paul Simon, Rolling Stone, 1972

No comments: