Thursday, June 12, 2014

Key Spy

Back when we first moved in 20 years ago, my friend Merrill and her seven year old son Adam came to visit from Arizona. It was a hot summer night in August. I went up to put fans in the windows and get them tucked into twin beds in the guest room. Bill was closing up when he heard a commotion out front so he went to investigate closing the foyer door behind him to remain invisible. I fell asleep. I woke at 1:30AM and Bill wasn't beside me. I woke again at 4AM and he still wasn't here. I walked into the guest room and my friend Merrill bolted upright and said "What's wrong?" Bill is not here, I'm scared. It's not like him. So we locked arms and went room to room looking for Bill in our big old house. When we entered the living room we heard a small voice."Help me, Help me" It was Bill, he was locked in the foyer in his boxers. He had been there all night, jumping up and down ringing the floor-switch doorbell, and alternately trying to sleep on the tiny green cushioned window seat. "Why didn't you climb the fire escape? I asked.
"I was afraid of scaring our guests, and I was in my boxers." He said.
We couldn't hear a thing with the window fans blowing.
This story still cracks me up.

No comments: