Monday, August 04, 2014

Spiritually Speaking

The Dalai Lama
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.

Where ignorance is our master, there is no possibility of real peace.

If you have a particular faith or religion, that is good. But you can survive without it.

The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.


Joan of Arc
Act, and God will act.

I would rather die than do something which I know to be a sin, or to be against God's will.

If I am not, may God put me there; and if I am, may God so keep me.

One life is all we have and we live it as we believe in living it. But to sacrifice what you are and to live without belief, that is a fate more terrible than dying.


C.S. Lewis
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing.

Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.

I gave in, and admitted that God was God.


Anne Frank
The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be.

Who would ever think that so much went on in the soul of a young girl?

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.

I don't think of all the misery but of the beauty that still remains.


Mary Daly
The word ‘sin’ is derived from the Indo-European root ‘es-,’ meaning ‘to be.’ When I discovered this etymology, I intuitively understood that for a woman trapped in patriarchy, which is the religion of the entire planet, ‘to be’ in the fullest sense is ' to sin.'

. . . Yet, it is essential to realize that without the loyalty of women the church and its churchmen would shrivel and die.

It is the creative potential itself in human beings that is the image of God.

Why indeed must 'God' be a noun? Why not a verb - the most active and dynamic of all.


Maya Angelou
While I know myself as a creation of God, I am also obligated to realize and remember

God puts rainbows in the clouds so that each of us - in the dreariest and most dreaded moments - can see a possibility of hope.

No comments: