Sunday, April 05, 2015

Easter Pot au Feu

I had put it off too long. It was time. I had to tackle the dust bunnies and tumble weeds that were obliterating all of the right angles in my house. Start with the kitchen and see where it goes, I told myself, trying not to get overwhelmed. This is a trick I use with nearly everything. Just do one little thing, I cajoled myself. Next thing I knew I was vacuuming dust bunnies in the boiler room and under the bathtub and couch. Last time I had cleaned this thoroughly was when my nephew was coming to visit in January, and I was excited. This time I was cleaning out of necessity and dread. The dust bunnies were shouting angrily at me.

Finally it was time to stop. I was at loose ends so I took a walk to the pond. The air was cold and delicious and the wind was blowing. The shadows were long. The sky was blue. I was enjoying my walk more than usual, appreciating every step. When I got home I started chopping cabbage. I wasn't sure what I was going to make for supper, a stir fry or coleslaw maybe. I started peeling carrots. Coleslaw, I decided. I chopped celery and red onions, and made the dressing; buttermilk, mayonnaise, mustard, salt, sugar, horseradish. I added raisins. It was delicious and colorful. The full moon was out, a spotlight shining on the neighborhood. We ate our bowls of coleslaw while sitting on the couch.

What do I make for tomorrow, Easter Sunday? I found frozen chicken breasts in the freezer and decided to simmer them overnight in the slow cooker with a pound of lentils and curry powder.

I woke at four fifty from the scent of curry. I came down and stirred the chicken to break it up. Lily and I stepped out into the dark yard. The moon was partially obscured by clouds. Lily barked once and I hurried her inside hoping I hadn't wakened the neighbors.

The bread dough had risen overnight in the buckets. There were lots of lovely air bubbles. I greased the cast iron pots and placed the shaped dough in each one and set them to rise again. To the pot of chicken and lentils I added Francine's frozen pumpkin puree, and three ribs of chopped celery. I added salt, chopped onions, chopped olives and fresh garlic and wine. It is still simmering and it smells fabulous.

No comments: