Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Ego Bubble

Make your ego porous. Will is of little importance, complaining is nothing, fame is nothing. Openness, patience, receptivity, solitude is everything.
― Rainer Maria Rilke


There's a thing I refer to as the ego bubble. Each day when I'm in receive-mode I must break it. I do this by having my morning walk or commute around the downtown, walking my dog Lily. Even though I resist it sometimes, I am grateful to my dog for expecting it and reminding me to go. Taking this walk is necessary for me to break the ego bubble. I need to remind myself of the bigger world in contrast to my own inner world of work and worries. I do this by walking a loop downtown where I can experience the energy of the city. When I return to my office I resume my private world of the imagination. As a child my parents ego bubble was never broken and my home environment felt like a suffocating snow-globe. The ego bubble was transferred from house to car to various destinations but it was never ever broken. I feel this was an extremely unhealthy environment and I do not wish to live that way.

No comments: