Friday, April 15, 2016

Kevin Broccoli

Broccoli was writing every day, "just like going to the gym," he said, and began posting on social media everything he wrote.

"I didn't want my writing to be precious. I wanted the good, the bad and the ugly. I thought it was the only way I was going to grow, the only way I'd get any sense of bravery."

He was also looking for feedback because he said he's not good at judging his own writing. "I try to surround myself with people who are brutal," he said.

He also likes to get in front of an audience as soon as possible, even after a single rehearsal, to "see how things land. I want to see the reaction from people and learn from them."

And he likes being out there on the edge. If he can push a scene to the breaking point, he's happy.

"I don't want to be backstage looking at my nails and saying, 'This will be fine.'"

[...]

"One year I did a professional show, a semi-professional show and community theater all in a row," he said. "Where else can you do that?"


Meet the hardest-working man in R.I. theater: Fearless actor-writer-director Kevin Broccoli has his own theater company, but he seems to pop up everywhere.

Article

No comments: