Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Television Detectives

I love the television detectives because they project clarity and stability in the face of crisis and mystery. I didn't know anyone like this growing up. I wish I had. When I came home from school each day I never knew what to expect. I was always taking the temperature of the room and dividing it by how many angry looks while navigating voice tones. I wondered where the landmines were hidden, under the rug, in the bathroom, or in the fridge. A few years ago a friend from high school remembered my mother telling me I was worthless and inconsiderate because I had accidentally forgotten to flush the toilet. Thank you, you, were my witness to this never ending cruelty, I told her. The next day I adopted a dog from the pound. I deserve love, I told myself.

No comments: