Saturday, August 05, 2017

Maupassant: Words Dazzle


“It is the lives we encounter that make life worth living.”
― Guy de Maupassant

Patriotism is a kind of religion; it is the egg from which wars are hatched.
― Guy de Maupassant

Every government has as much of a duty to avoid war as a ship's captain has to avoid a shipwreck.
― Guy de Maupassant

“Our memory is a more perfect world than the universe: it gives back life to those who no longer exist.”
― Guy de Maupassant

“Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare.”
― Guy de Maupassant

“There is only one good thing in life, and that is love.”
― Guy de Maupassant, The Complete Short Stories of de Maupassant

“A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption.”
― Guy de Maupassant, Le Horla et autres contes fantastiques

“Solitude is indeed dangerous for a working intelligence. We need to have around us people who think and speak. When we are alone for a long time we people the void with phantoms”
― Guy de Maupassant, Le Horla et autres contes fantastiques

“I love the night passionately. I love it as I love my country, or my mistress, with an instinctive, deep, and unshakeable love. I love it with all my senses: I love to see it, I love to breathe it in, I love to open my ears to its silence, I love my whole body to be caressed by its blackness. Skylarks sing in the sunshine, the blue sky, the warm air, in the fresh morning light. The owl flies by night, a dark shadow passing through the darkness; he hoots his sinister, quivering hoot, as though he delights in the intoxicating black immensity of space. ”
― Guy de Maupassant

“The kiss itself is immortal. It travels from lip to lip, century to century, from age to age. Men and women garner these kisses, offer them to others and then die in turn.”
― Guy de Maupassant, The Complete Short Stories of Guy de Maupassant, Part One

“...A strange art – music – the most poetic and precise of all the arts, vague as a dream and precise as algebra.”
― Guy de Maupassant, Complete Works

“Everything is false, everything is possible, everything is doubtful.”
― Guy de Maupassant, Complete Works

No comments: