Friday, August 04, 2017

Pizza Pie

I tell everyone I have to make something 100 times before I am an expert...and it's true.

The other night I was so pleased with my semolina+ bread dough pizza pie crusts that I made them again and they behaved differently. Although they stretched out nice and thin, like the night before, they shrunk back from the edge of the pans in the cold oven. I was being lazy, thinking I could be efficient, and put them in a cold oven and turned on the heat like I do with baking bread. Had I preheated the oven my crusts would have had their 20 minute rest and a hot oven!

So in the 100 rule I may be up to 35 on pizza dough so I have a ways to go. My brother and I had some theories but I decided to google. What I read is I must wait 20 minutes before baking. I will try this again and report back.
http://lifehacker.com/the-secret-to-making-perfect-pizza-dough-is-the-right-t-1782521574

My sauce was simple and delicious: onions and garlic sauteed in olive oil and then I added two cans of crushed tomatoes and a can of tomato paste. I used leftover pasta water concentrated from the pressure cooker. If I had leftover red wine to add to the sauce I would've added a splash.

It was very good.

Rhode Island style has no cheese but we used pepper jack, and my brother's fresh mozzarella.

Article https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/life-changing-pizza-dough-with-joe-heffernan-of-seattle-s-independent-pizzeria

No comments: