Monday, August 14, 2017

Ram Dass

We start by taking a big, deep breath, and looking at the big picture. Here is Ram Dass on his Here and Now Podcast talking about his reaction to ----- being elected:

I’m for the long, long view. Every time things like this happened, Maharajji would say, “It’s perfect. It’s perfect.” Now I know that many of the listeners are feeling repulsed or apoplectic about that statement, but we’ve got to keep our quietness inside. We’ve got to keep our love. Our compassion. We’ve got to keep our wisdom during this time.

In this political scene, I don’t think we all should sit back and say, “It’s just perfect.” But I want to say you should not do social action with frustration and anger, but with love. I put ----- on my puja table. And it’s good work for me. He’s good inner work for everybody. The fear, the anger, and all those things, that’s the work. Is that inside you? Love it. Those things are thoughts, and those thoughts are not productive. If you identify with your soul, you love those thoughts. And I think it’s hard to do that. And the hardness is the work.

“We’ve got to keep our quietness inside.” This is the line I keep coming back to. In the face of so much anger, so many talking heads shrieking incoherently at each other, so much unwanted noise, we have to have that place of quietness within ourselves. We have to be the calm eye in the center of the storm.
https://www.ramdass.org/love-time-chaos-guide-compassion-part-one/

No comments: