Monday, August 07, 2017

Sunday Night

Yesterday afternoon I took a bath at 3PM trying to gather my center when I decided the only real way to do this is to go swimming. So after my bath I walked over to the pool. I ran into a friend at the gym I hadn't seen in years. We talked while she was bicycling in place with a towel on her neck to catch the sweat.

Nobody was in the pool. The water was still and clear. I opened the doors for fresh air, and swam. I ended up in the zone counting fifty laps, 44 laps is a mile but it's not a good number so I usually go to 45 and then 50. Happiness in one hour!

When I got home I was calm and my mood had lifted and I went out with Lily. I walked over to Saint Germain to say hi to the sweet folks that live there who are usually outside at that hour. Lily's fan club.

Then I walked along the path behind Bouley field. I saw smoke and discovered a smoldering fire behind the large yellow and green striped circus tent put up by the Elks. Smoke was coming from a firepit but nobody was around. The smoke was getting smokier and there was no spark arrester.

I walked back to Saint Germain and asked the folks at the picnic table if I could use someone's cell phone to call the fire dept. They all said sure.

The 3 firemen with engine 3 showed up and put it out using a tank. I went over and told them I was the one who called. One fireman said thank you but another laughed at me and said, "It was in a fire pit."
"There was nobody around and no spark arrester, next to a tent and we are in the city on a dry windy day!" I replied.

I walked home but was too agitated to stay. It was a nice cool night So I walked to PB Cemetery and kept walking all the way the end of Edegewater drive. I visited with Steve and Deb and Josh and Katy who were all out on their porches. By the time I got home it was dark and the big yellow full moon was out.

“Writing is like driving at night in the fog. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.” —E.L. Doctorow

No comments: