Thursday, August 10, 2017

Swimming Interview


I finally joined a gym. I like to walk on the treadmill, but they have 2 pools, and I am excited about swimming on my side. I've never been good at the crawl but I like swimming on my sides.
You will probably find more ways to get through the water the more time you spend there. I love to do the crawl since I had lessons as an adult to make it more efficient. Also love to do the crawl with foam barbells. BE CAREFUL of kicking with a kick-board. You can zing your tail bone muscles. I did that so many times last year and I didn't realize this was causing it. Now don't even do that move anymore. Flippers are fun but I only use them when I've done 25 laps first or I get a severe cramp in my calf. Simple straight up crawl is my favorite.

When you are swimming, do you think?

I no longer let myself, I count instead. Numbers are my mantras and it takes focus and habit for me to count a lap. I say the numbers aloud to remember them. The TRICK is ONE LAP has to be enough. That's the only way I can get there. I do strive for more and usually get there. But if I make it mandatory I will flee for the hills and blow off swimming for 3 months. Not good. So one lap has to be sufficient!

Do you get into some sort of meditation zone?

I can get into a relaxed energized bliss and swim and swim 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 laps.

I know it's been a steadying force in your life, a powerful way to express and also gain energy. Tell me more about it.
I started swimming in college when I had access to an Olympic pool at mid day. I was amazed at how great it made me feel and I got hooked. It's my main tool for managing my daily routines and help with my moods. During the recession I couldn't afford pool membership but I occasionally jumped into ponds and reservoirs with my beloved swimming dog. I tell people find something you love to do and you will always come back. It's a good metaphor for life!

I'll swim early in the day when I am in a low 3 month receive-mode cycle to lift myself up a quarter of an inch and I'll swim later in the day when I am running high in transmit mode cycle and need to ground myself back in my body. I also swim mid-day in the winter to boost my afternoon energy.

I LOVE cold water. Sadly nobody else does. My philanthropic fantasy is to build a public outdoor FREE unheated pool in Woonsocket Rhode Island to teach kids and adults swim safety. It's a public health and health and safety issue!

No comments: