Wednesday, August 23, 2017

What do you Say to a Dying Man?

I ran into Jay. His arm was in a navy blue sling from receiving radiation on his shoulder bone. We sat in the shade on the last barn-red picnic table at the Castle. I refilled Lily's water dish from the spigot and poured it on her fur to cool her off. "How are ya?" he asked.
"Glad to be out of the small air-conditioned room. Having a walk," I said. "Did you see the eclipse?"
"Yeah I love that sorta stuff. The next one is 2024," Jay said.
"I lost 10 pounds since last week. I was at 201 and now I'm 191, he said.
"Why is that?"
"No appetite. My doctor's not happy about it. I think I'll get a shake."
"That should help," I said, and we got up so he could order from the window.
"I'll walk you back," I said "But we can't walk on the black asphalt, it's too hot for Lily's paws."
We walked across the green baseball field dodging the sprinklers, with Lily leading the way.

No comments: