Monday, January 22, 2018

Divine Intervention on the Way to the Laundromat

They stopped to say hi to Romeo. "You remember me, I used to live down the street," the young man said.
"Oh yeah, I didn't recognize you with your hood on," I said. "How are you?"
"We're homeless," he said.
"In these temperatures we've been afraid of dying in our sleep," the young woman said. "We're on our way to the church soup kitchen to get lunch."
"Ask the folks there for help and keep on asking. Try not to let shame hold you back. In Woonsocket we're all connected. No need for shame, we can figure something out. There are amazing pastors in the City and many other groups of people that can help." I gave them three names.
When I got home I wrote emails to the three folks I sent them to. One of them wrote back right away.
"I am ready to help them," she said. "Here's my cell phone have them call me."
"I will keep my eyes out for them," I said.
Sunday morning our washing machine conked out. I fished out the wet clothes and put them in my green plastic laundry basket.
"I'll take them to the laundromat around the corner," I told my husband, fishing around for quarters.
As I drove out of our driveway I thought "If I go left, it's closer."
"Go right, you might run into those homeless kids," my thoughts commanded. So I turned right and a second later I saw the young couple walking down my street. I pulled over and jumped out. "Hi guys. Wow! I have been hoping to find you. I sent out messages for the past few days and one of the people responded right away and she told me she's ready to meet with you and help you find shelter. Let's turn around. I will run inside my house and get you her cell-phone number." When I came out I said, "Now you know where I live, ring the bell if you have a problem."
"Thank you, can we give you a hug," they said.
"Thank you, you guys made my day. I have been eager to find you, hoping you were safe."

No comments: