Saturday, September 08, 2018

Beth Brownsberger Mader

Whether I’m too down or too up to feel like it, once we’re outside and walking, even on my worstest-no-good-terrible-very-bad days, just moving my body a little bit makes things a smidgen better, and we end up staying out longer.

I became even more aware of the good that regular exercise does for me: if my body stays fit, so does my brain.

I’ve rarely been a gym rat. I still prefer to watch the landscape go by as my body moves through it, and to listen only to my breath.

I’m surprised that I find some enjoyment in it, and I can see the benefits of maintaining an exercise program no matter what.

Beyond growing more muscle, spending an hour at the gym helps me blow off steam when stress gets to me. When my moods get “blippy” (a couple days down, a couple up), a gym workout can help me get the “wiggles” out.

I’m listening to music again—I learned how to do the headphones-streaming-free-music-like-a-millennial-thing while working out. It’s a whole new world of discovery!

Developing a workout plan helps me set goals and achieve them. I learn what’s reasonable to do and stick to that. Going to the gym three times a week gives me a routine, a place to be, the knowledge that I am doing this specific thing, at this specific time, at this specific place, for the benefit of my body and my mind.

I like feeling strong, flexible, and better balanced. I like using my bed for the good sleep that exercise provides rather than as a hideout for depression.

I still go for my walks with Pika, close to home. Longer, more remote stuff: I go with my husband or a friend. The point is, being physical and adaptable remains critical to my wellness in body and mind.

Beth Brownsberger Mader

No comments: