Thursday, March 26, 2020

Tips for Sudden Self-Employment

I've been self employed for decades. I tell the newly unemployed to get up at the same time each morning and go to bed at the same time each night if possible. Put your rituals in place. Habit is the muse! Habit is what props you up on difficult days.

When I first started working at home I was very mean to myself. So naturally I WAS MISERABLE. It took many years and a lot of reading and soul searching to learn to trust myself and find my true passion and what works.

I get up let the dog out feed Romeo+Sammy, brush my teeth, make coffee, read the news. I take a shower and PUT ON CLEAN CLOTHES, yes --this is important! I walk my dog on the downtown mile loop. It puts me in touch with the greater good, my city. I call it "my commute".

When I return home I know it's time to get to work. Some mornings I am also doing household chores. Today I am proofing dough. Yesterday I washed my clothes. Last night I made brown rice in my instant pot while I was working.

It has taken me a long time to trust that doing quick chores won't derail my commitment to work. The breaks in between focused work sessions are also good for the brain and a source of intuition. Keep your antenna up!

When the day comes to a close I make dinner and then my husband and I have another walk with the dog. Breaking up time indoors with time outdoors is a natural for me because I have a dog. My dog has introduced my to my community. For the work at home folks I recommend adopting a dog for your companionship exercise and comfort.

No comments: