My circadian rhythm section woke me up. My dogs licking themselves at 3AM. I was actually already awake daydreaming of being five sitting on my mother's lap in a wet bathing suit at Harbor Island beach, asking her to buy me a colorful candy necklace.
Suddenly a Pontiac horn sounded at the four way stop. I am back! I hear this horn every few days if I am awake at 3AM. I wonder if it's an angry ex driving past his former lover's apartment or just someone blowing through the intersection.
"It's okay to go through a red light if you honk!" My mother said driving through a red light in 1972.
This honk at three AM? It's my mother! She is alive, not just the mean voice in my head all the time, she's back, honking at me. Except she drove a Volvo. This was definitely an American honk. A Pontiac honk, rude loud and insistent.
A few summers ago at this same intersection, a woman's husband shot out her 2nd floor apartment window on July 4th. This was to scare her. It did, and it scared the whole neighborhood.
Then a few days later there was a dead rooster on the sidewalk in front of her apartment building.
Everyone was spooked feeling that it had a particular meaning. So maybe my mother is keeping the tradition alive. But this time I laugh, Hi Mom! and let her go.
Afro-Caribbean Religious Offerings (Santería, Lucumí, or Vodou)In religions like Santería and Vodou, animal offerings are deeply sacred. A rooster is often offered to specific deities (Orishas) like Elegguá (the guardian of crossroads, paths, and doors) or Changó (the god of fire and justice). The Meaning: These rituals are usually done for cleansing, healing, or spiritual protection. The animal is believed to take away negative energy, illness, or bad luck from a practitioner. Why the Sidewalk? Intersections, sidewalks, and the bases of trees are considered spiritual thresholds where the physical and spiritual worlds meet. The offering is left there so the energy can be dissipated by the crossroads.

No comments:
Post a Comment